From: Olaf Kock [mailto:tom...@olafkock.de]
Sent: 29 May 2017 13:53
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Am 29.05.2017 um 07:59 schrieb Shaik, Mohammad N.:
> We are using Tomcat 6.x version and we need to implement the following
> headers in our environment.
>
> Headers:
> 1) Strict-Transport-Security
> 2) Content-Security-Policy
> 7) X-Robots-Tag
>
> When I checked the Tomcat 6 version webpage
> (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tomcat.apache.org_tomcat-2D6.0-2Ddoc_config_filter.html&d=DwIC-g&c=eIGjsITfXP_y-DLLX0uEHXJvU8nOHrUK8IrwNKOtkVU&r=n7KdPZPxHJiaMMRttjzNEDRaQq4sRDfs3q027rnDxLU&m=MluZR_Lq5a0pPtOi3Req6Md1UeKkctbV-mPOCjQsSUU&s=MmEr4IILdgkhxtcFHmAb7ZO1pGl9B2Gek5dFuSCIBKw&e=
>  ), I don't see any filters that implement any these headers. Some of them
> are available in Tomcat 7 version webpage
> (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tomcat.apache.org_tomcat-2D7.0-2Ddoc_config_filter.html&d=DwIC-g&c=eIGjsITfXP_y-DLLX0uEHXJvU8nOHrUK8IrwNKOtkVU&r=n7KdPZPxHJiaMMRttjzNEDRaQq4sRDfs3q027rnDxLU&m=MluZR_Lq5a0pPtOi3Req6Md1UeKkctbV-mPOCjQsSUU&s=aSZ5lgpIY-aPi2TSYp6DDNykQA9QFD8ImYaIKp70gUA&e=
>  ), but we cannot upgrade to Tomcat 7.x version due to some constraints.
>
> Can you kindly guide me how to implement these headers in Tomcat 6.x version.
> All your comments on this topic are welcome.
As tomcat 6 is solid out of service for almost half a year already (see
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomcat.apache.org_tomcat-2D60-2Deol.html&d=DwIC-g&c=eIGjsITfXP_y-DLLX0uEHXJvU8nOHrUK8IrwNKOtkVU&r=n7KdPZPxHJiaMMRttjzNEDRaQq4sRDfs3q027rnDxLU&m=MluZR_Lq5a0pPtOi3Req6Md1UeKkctbV-mPOCjQsSUU&s=4Z8PWPmO-QMztdwYP9hAotZazIQFlsSUO5SfDxrVjG4&e=
 ), you're between a rock and a hard place: Invest in a platform that's a
potential security threat (it won't get any more updates) or invest in an
upgrade.

That out of the way, for most cases, just have an Apache httpd in front of
tomcat and use its magic to tag most of your headers. For many it will be
static configuration. If there's anything dynamic that you need, implement a
servlet filter that just does the job. Hardcode it - you don't need a lot of
configuration if you come up with a solution that's just used within your
premises.

If you have multiple web applications that all need the same filter, deploy the
filter on all of them.

Olaf

proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic
communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant
messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes
of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture
policy.