On 29/05/17 13:00, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> On 26/05/17 21:33, Christopher Schultz wrote:

<snip/>

>>> Would it be reasonable to change trimSpaces so that spaces within
>>> element attributes would be normalized to a single space, and others
>>> would be removed? I'm not sure how aware the parser is of the
>>> surrounding document structure.
>>
>> The parser is completely unaware. As far as it is concerned, it is just
>> template text. Parsing the template text it is likely impossible since
>> correct parsing depends on evaluating the entire page.
>
> Aren't EL expressions a part of that template text?

No. You want to work from the EBNF Grammar (section JSP.1.3.10.1) rather
than the text descriptions. It is much more precise.

<snip/>

> Jasper option "trimSpaces" is documented as
> "Should white spaces in template text between actions or directives be
> trimmed ?, default false."
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jasper-howto.html

That is poorly worded. It would be better if it stated that if true, it
effectively forces the trimDirectiveWhitespaces page directive to true
for every page and tag.

<snip/>

> JSP.8.5.1 The tag Directive
>
> <quote>
> trimDirective-
> Whitespaces
> (optional) Carries the same syntax and semantics of the trim-
> DirectiveWhitespaces attribute of the page directive.
> However, there is no corresponding global configuration
> element in web.xml.
> </quote>
>
> Thus the global configuration should not apply to tag files at all?

When it uses the word 'global' in this case, it means all JSP files
defined by a <jsp-property-group> element in web.xml. There is no
equivalent web.xml configuration option for tag files.

When we add this new option, I don't think the new value should override
and explicit per page or per tag directive to remove whitespace completely.

Mark