Leon -

        Thank you for your response, but I don't understand it. I have a
key question:

        how does Tomcat detect that a browser does not accept cookies?

        There are a number of different ways to detect it inside my
application, but all of them seem to need a roundtrip to the browser. If,
as I suspect, Tomcat can tell without the redirect, I would like to use
Tomcat's knowledge. If Tomcat uses a roundtrip, I would still like to use
Tomcat's knowledge, so that I don't have to duplicate the work inside my
app.

Garey Mills
Library Systems Office
UC Berkeley