M.,

On 8/4/17 12:16 PM, M. Manna wrote:
> Have you imported the signed server certificate into the server
> keystore with all the root+intermediate certificates? in other
> words, does the "chain-of-trust" exist in server keystore?
>
> You just need to add the root and intermediate CA certs to trust
> store - any server certs signed by them is by default, trusted.

No, you definitely don't want to mess around with any trust stores.

Here are the instructions I always follow when using Java keystores
(which are in fact so awful that even Java is giving up on them[1]),
copied directly from my corporate wiki page on the subject (which I
wrote because I can never remember all the steps):

== Create a New Server Key & Certificate with Java's Keytool

Make sure to use Java's keytool with a Java version 1.6 or better.

 $ keytool -genkey -keyalg RSA -sigalg SHA256withRSA -keysize 4096
- -alias ${HOSTNAME} -keystore ${HOSTNAME}.jks

== Generate a CSR to send to a CA using Java's Keytool

 $ keytool -certreq -sigalg SHA256withRSA -keystore ${HOSTNAME}.jks

If you have more than one certificate in there, you'll need to use the
"-alias" option.

== Import a Signed Certificate into your Keystore

You'll need to import the root and intermediate certificates from the
CA first:

 $ keytool -import -alias [Authority.CA] -trustcacerts -file
[authority's CA cert] -keystore ${HOSTNAME}.jks
 $ keytool -import -alias [Authority.intermediate] -trustcacerts -file
[authority's intermediate cert] -keystore ${HOSTNAME}.jks
 $ keytool -import -alias ${HOSTNAME} -file ${HOSTNAME}.crt -keystore
${HOSTNAME}.jks

Note that the order of import matters. If you do this in the opposite
order, I think your server catches fire instantly. Java keystores are
*just that bad*.

Hope that helps,
- -chris

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/229