On 8/18/17, 1:41 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

You say that you aren't running it as a service. How then are you
running Tomcat?

startup.sh and shutdown.sh from a command line.

Just starting catalina.sh from the CLI directly? If
you run it in the background, are you running it with nohup? If not,
your console closing might be killing the Java process. Hmm... but you
said that Tomcat does in fact shut down when you login and stop it.
Probably not a SIGHUP killing the process.

When it's unresponsive, it's apparently still running. But it's not just our context that's unresponsive; manager is also unresponsive. And we run with autodeploy disabled: aside from being a huge context that takes a while to deploy, it's also one that often needs to be stopped, have instance-specific values set in its web.inf, and then get restarted, before it can function normally.

If you stop Tomcat (when it's unresponsive), then re-start it, does it
appear to work correctly right away, or do you need to do anything
else to get it to work again?

It opens up the port immediately, and serves a sign-on page for our webapp as soon as it's had a chance to initialize.

I looked in the latest localhost access log, and no sign of anything suspicious there.

--
JHHL