Since you told the context is rather huge, have you checked gc times? A
long running full gc can block the machine completely resulting in the
up/down behaviour from outside. GC options depend on JVM version I use:

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -verbose:GC
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:logs/gc.log "

alternatively moskito would also show you avg response times and gcs ;-)

regards

Leon