From: André Warnier (tomcat) [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:40 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: tomcat ssl setup

Hi.

I just downloaded tomcat 9 myself (the windows zip version, but it should be
the same), to look at the standard server.xml.

There is something which does not quite fit in all of this.
I can also not see, in the snippets of server.xml that you pasted, any
obvious XML errors or imbricated comments.
Yet the logfile points to these lines..
Somehow the logfile which you uploaded to drop-box, does not seem to match
the server.xml lines that you pasted here.

Ooooh, wait.
I know why it did not fit.

After looking again, more carefully, at the logfile that you posted, I see
what was confusing : that logfile shows several starts and stops of tomcat.
It just accumulates. I was looking just at the beginning, the first error
that I found.
You have for example this :

08-Sep-2017 11:10:32.131 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
08-Sep-2017 11:10:32.136 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["ajp-nio-8009"]
08-Sep-2017 11:10:32.137 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 18916 ms

Just before the error message that I was mentioning, which was :
08-Sep-2017 11:31:21.952 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.fatalError
Parse Fatal Error at line 87 column 6: The content of elements must consist
of well-formed character data or markup.
  org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId:
file:/home/tomcat9/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M26/conf/server.xml; lineNumber: 87;
columnNumber:
6; The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or
markup.

But that was like 21 minutes later, after tomcat had been running for 21
minutes.

Then after that there are a few more starts and stops, and a the lastest
attempt, the problem is different :

08-Sep-2017 15:24:35.920 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init
Initializing ProtocolHandler ["https-jsse-nio-8443"]
08-Sep-2017 15:24:36.300 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException Failed to
initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8443]]
  org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization
failed ...
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
java.security.KeyStoreException: Cannot store non-PrivateKeys
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.createSSLContext(AbstractJss
eEndpoint.java:113)

So, here is what happened :

- when you first started tomcat (timestamp 08-Sep-2017 10:05:02.807), it
started fine, ending in the line
08-Sep-2017 10:05:03.371 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 482 ms

but then, you did not have the connector for port 8443 enabled yet.

- then you stopped tomcat, and you started it again at
08-Sep-2017 11:10:13.141 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log
Server version:        Apache Tomcat/9.0.0.M26

- and then you had this :
08-Sep-2017 11:31:21.952 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.fatalError
Parse Fatal Error at line 87 column 6: The content of elements must consist
of well-formed character data or markup.

so my guess is that you modified the server.xml, while tomcat was still
running, and then you did a "shutdown.sh", to prepare to restart tomcat.

- And then there was that parse error.

And the reason is that the shutdown command, in fact starts another (small)
instance of tomcat, to issue the shutdown command to the running instance.
But that shutdown instance also reads server.xml, and at that time you /did/
have a syntax error in it. So that is where this syntax error came from.

Later you apparently corrected the syntax, and restarted tomcat :

08-Sep-2017 15:24:34.889 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log
Server version:        Apache Tomcat/9.0.0.M26

and this time, there was no syntax error anymore in server.xml, but then
there is this other problem :

08-Sep-2017 15:24:35.920 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init
Initializing ProtocolHandler ["https-jsse-nio-8443"]
08-Sep-2017 15:24:36.300 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException Failed to
initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8443]]
  org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization
failed ...
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
java.security.KeyStoreException: Cannot store non-PrivateKeys
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.createSSLContext(AbstractJss
eEndpoint.java:113)

but that seems to only prevent the SSL connector to start, and the logfile
shows that tomcat continues to initialise anyway, with only the other
connectors.

So that's why you can connect normally to port 8080.

I did not know that tomcat starts anyway, even if it encounters a severe
problem with one of its connectors.

(And I must say that, as a sysadmin myself, I find this behaviour a bit
questionable)(unless it is optional)

So anyway, your problem now is not the syntax of server.xml anymore, it is
something to do with your SSL keystore.
And for that I am not competent to help, and I'll have to ask someone else
to follow-up.

And now I've been top-posting myself all of this, contrary to the rules.
Apologies.

But John, for the rest, I suggest that before you restart tomcat, delete or
rename that
old logfile, so that when you restart it will be "fresh" and contain only
the result of
the last attempt. It will be clearer for everyone.

On 21.09.2017 21:47, John Ellis wrote:
> One more thing Andre. I don't know if it matters or not but when I try to
> access Tomcat 9 on the secure port of 8443
>   I see it saying down in the bottom left hand corner of my browser-
> "Performing a TLS handshake to 10.22.8.70..." but it never
> gives the webpage. However once I change the IP address to 10.22.8.70:8080
> it immediately goes to the Tomcat 9 webpage.
>
> John Ellis
>
> 405.285.2500 office
>

> http://biz-e.io

RHEL