> From: Don Flinn [mailto:fl...@alum.mit.edu]
> Subject: Re: Trouble using SSL with Tomcat 9

> I installed a new download of tomcat 9, established one application with
> php/java bridge (need php and java access). Set the SSL port to an unused
> port, 443, and ran my app who's only out put is an H1 message.  This time
> get the expected error from Chrome with the red warning about bad
> certificate.  However, the redirect went to https://localhost/Financial/
> index.php - i.e. NO port number and of course drilling down couldn't find
> my app which is at port 443, I believe.

Port 443 is the standard HTTPS port, so it won't show up in the https: URL
since it's the default.

Unless you're running Tomcat as root (a very, very bad idea), you'll need to
use iptables or equivalent to let Tomcat listen on port 443.
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileg
es.3F

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.