Cris,

On 12/15/17 10:36 AM, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading our tomcat from version 6.x to 8.5.x.
> Yeah, it's overdue.  :-)  In our test environment, I would like to
> install 8.5 in parallel with 6 for side-by-side comparison
> testing.

Sounds reasonable.

> Having never done it before, I'm also thinking about splitting the
> tomcat and document locations with different values for
> CATALINA_HOME home CATALINA_BASE.

This is critical for a sane environment IMO.

> So each tomcat instance, 6 and 8, would need its own copy of
> CATALINA_HOME.  Running under Windows Server as a service,
> CATALINA_HOME would need to be somehow configured differently for
> each service.  I assume that can be figured out somehow.  Hints are
> welcome.  ;-)

set CATALINA_HOME=...\tomcat6
set CATALINA_BASE=...\app1
CATALINA_HOME/bin/service.bat [args]

The service.bat file (and accompanying binary) are sensitive to the
standard environment variables. As long as you set-up your Windows
service using service.bat and those env vars are set, you are good to go
.

If you want to change CATALINA_HOME, you may want to actually *remove*
the Windows service and re-install it; I'm not sure how well it works
to try to "change" the CATALINA_HOME for an existing service.

> My question is this.  Is it even possible or simply not
> recommended for both tomcat instances to share the same
> CATALINA_BASE?  The work folder with compiled cache is buried in
> CATALINA_HOME, not under webapps, right?  It also assumes that no
> changes need to be made to the application code or web.xml to
> accommodate the newer tomcat version.  If changes need to be made
> for the new version, then the whole issue becomes moot.
>
> Just in case you're curious why ... I'm a developer.  :-)

Sharing CATALINA_BASE between major Tomcat versions is not a great
idea specifically because of conf/server.xml. That file is very
sensitive to changes across versions of Tomcat.

Take the <Connector> elements for instance. In Tomcat 6, there is no
configuration for SNI, multiple certificates per domain, etc., but
that's the best way to configure Tomcat 8.5.

So I would recommend a separate CATALINA_BASE for each application's
support for a major Tomcat version. Note that you are welcome to share
WAR files for an application.

Example:

Tomcat 6 CATALINA_BASE:
bin/setenv.sh
conf/server.xml
conf/context.xml
conf/web.xml
conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml [ references C:\apps\myapp.war ]

Tomcat 8.5 CATALINA_BASE
bin/setenv.sh
conf/server.xml
conf/context.xml
conf/web.xml
conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml [ references C:\apps\myapp.war ]

In this way, your CATALINA_BASE directory only contains a handful of
configuration files (plus the work/ directory, but you let Tomcat
worry about that).

If you update your WAR file, both services will be updated with your
latest code.