Cris,

On 12/18/17 11:37 AM, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Chris
>
> Thanks again taking the time to help.  Please see below.

>>> We host multiple apps.  So each app instance would require its
>>> own CATALINA_BASE for each instance of Tomcat?  This is
>>> beginning to sound like a matrix nightmare.  :-)
>>
>> It's just more XML files. They will often look the same.
>
> OK, it's finally beginning to dawn on me. If I understand
> correctly, what you're saying is that each app (context) would have
> its own instance of tomcat running.

Not necessarily. You can deploy them in any arrangement you wish.

> I was hoping to have only one instance of tomcat per tomcat
> version running. So if I wanted to run tomats 6.x and 8.5.x, there
> would only be 2 instances, 2 server.xml files, and 2 listening
> ports. I hoped to have a setting in each server.xml point to a
> different location for the webapps folder. That alternate webapps
> folder could be shared between instances, no matter what version
> they are. Just plop a new application into relocated webapps folder
> just like you would normally in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.

Both of those should be possible. I was just suggesting that you could
use XML files to deploy your webapps (wherever they may be stored)
instead of just using CATALINA_BASE/webapps. If you want to change the
auto-deployment directory from CATALINA_BASE/webapps to e.g.
/opt/tomcat6 or whatever, that would work, too.

> Sorry, it was my misunderstanding of what CATALINA_BASE was for.
> When I think of "documents", I think of "webapps", not "conf".

CATALINA_BASE is almost entirely configuration files. The fact that
the default auto-deployment directory is present there muddles things
a bit, but Tomcat is flexible enough to handle a situation where the
auto-deployment directory is elsewhere. I know of no way to re-locate
those configuration files, though.

Hope that helps,