Hi all,

please can someone confirm whether I need to clarify anything in my question or take a different approach since I have had no replies and am anxious to make sure I am doing all I can to seek help in the correct way. Please correct me if my approach is wrong!

many thanks

Iain

I D B Major wrote:
Hi

I am a student trying to set up a project using JSP with JSTL custom tags to provide dynamic pages to allow a web-based ticketing system for independent cinemas. I am at the early stages of testing that I can use the technologies. I have installed and configured Tomcat to allow password protection to the site and I have embedded a McKoi database which I can access and use to do insert, update and delete queries using a test JSP page which has customised JSTL tags that are used to run the SQL query on the database.

I am now trying to display data from two separate databases. I can get each to display separately but not both at once. My issues seem to be around the details held in web.xml which are as follows;

   <context-param>
       <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.dataSource</param-name>
       <param-value>jdbc/mydb</param-value>
   </context-param>
     <resource-ref>
       <description>DB Connection</description>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/mydb</res-ref-name>
       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>
     <context-param>
       <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.dataSource</param-name>
       <param-value>jdbc/curzon</param-value>
   </context-param>
     <resource-ref>
       <description>DB Connection</description>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/curzon</res-ref-name>
       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>

If I change the name of either of the <param-name> then the other will work and allow database access to that database (ie <Resource> details in server.xml are correctly recorded) but the one which is altered is not available so that Tomcat displays an error message to say the table requested is not found;

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: select * from Film

 : Table 'APP.Film' was not found.

I have googled and googled, read the apache website in all areas I can think of to look up and have asked my tutor for help. All without success. I have discovered that the <param-name> given above is a default so I tried adjusting the names (setting first one and then the other to javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.dataSource.other or javax.servlet.jsp.jstl..otherdataSource or other.dataSource) and even removing the <context-param> altogether but none of these work.

Please can someone point me in the right direction for how to find out what the <param-name> needs to be set to in order to allow two databases to be accessed at once?

many thanks,

Iain M