Ok , I thank you guys for being so helpful.
I would never expect that.

Basically I am have tomcat running on port 8443 as user tomcat.
I am trying to find ways to redirect them to 443 WITHOUT using iptables or
the firewall or the load balancer.
I have no control over any of those tools and I cannot use a reverse proxy
wither because I do not have control of apache.

I think that leaves me basically with authbind or set cap , locally.

However, I cannot get either to work.

Set cap seemed easiest.

You start the tomcat server and then I ran this
setcap cap_net_bind_service=+ep /opt/jdk1.8.0_161/jre/bin/java

So now what?

How does it know to bind java process to 443?
$netstat -an says 443 is not open and it does not work using curl.

That is where I am right now.

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services