>> Why can't I log in? I get a 401 error when I try with any these
>> users. Do I have them set correctly? The 401 error said I can get
>> access by adding the user "tomcat" like I so. I also read the
>> documentation
>> <http://24.0.5.14:8081/docs/manager-howto.html#Configuring_Manager_App
> lication_Access>
>>

> but
>> I must not understand. I tried running tomcat on my windows
>> computer and got a similar 403 error. I originally had this issue
>> when I was trying to integrate my Spring Boot app in Jenkins and
>> got error
>>
>> org.codehaus.cargo.container.tomcat.internal.TomcatManagerException:
>>

> The username and password you provided are not correct (error 401).

1. Do not confuse error 401 and error 403.

HTTP Response Status 401 means that server asks you for a different
user name / password.
-- Your name/password are wrong.

HTTP Response Status 401 means that access have been denied:
a) Your name/password are known, but the user does not have rights to
access the page. => Check roles of an user.

b) Your name/password are known, but CSRF token has expired. => Go to
<site>/manager/html. The entrance page does not need a CSRF token.

c) You have been blocked by your IP address (by RemoteAddrValve).
(No user name is asked)

> My guess is that one or more of the following is true:
>
> 1. The tomcat-users.xml file isn't in your CATALINA_BASE/conf/ directory
>
> 2. Your CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml does not have a <Resource> in it
> for MemoryUserDatabaseFactory
>
> 3. Your Manager application doesn't have a <Realm> configured
>
> Can you confirm all of the above?

4. You did not restart your Tomcat after editing the file.

The tomcat-users.xml file is read when Tomcat starts. You need to
restart Tomcat for the changes to take effect.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko