John,

On 4/19/18 4:34 PM, John Dale wrote:
> Indeed - that is what I thought as well (DNS).
>
> But what about this (stacktrace below)?
>
> Will see about the thread dumps (I'm in appointments for the rest
> of the day, but can't wait to make it back and read responses and
> put this one to bed).
>
> I was reading that MySQL does some things with host bindings and
> resolutions that might auto-resolve algorithmically, explaining
> this behavior.  Will keep that in mind as I continue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>

> -----
>
> [ERROR] 04-19-2018 13:16:50 onefortyfive.SMSNotificationPoller init
> – Unable to initialize sms daemon.
>
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory (Could not create connection to database
> server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.)
>
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFa
ctory(BasicDataSource.java:1549)

>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicData
Source.java:1388)

>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSou
rce.java:1044)

>  at
> digitalcnc.data.ConnectionFactory.getConnection(ConnectionFactory.java
:56)

>  at
> onefortyfive.SMSNotificationPoller.init(SMSNotificationPoller.java:146
)

Sounds

like the driver tried 3 times and couldn't connect :)

If you are using DHCP, let the pool do the reconnections if necessary.
Remove that autoReconnect=true junk from your JDBC URL.

Without seeing your configuration, it's tough to tell what might be
going on.

It's also not clear where the call to
onefortyfive.SMSNotificationPoller.init is coming from. If that's
happening when the application is coming-up, it might be happening
synchronously, keeping the application from completely-deploying
before anything else happens.

Can you post the COMPLETE stack trace?

The thread dump during the stall is going to be very informative, too.