I am not sure if it's possible, and probably for a valid reasons.
Server.xml is the mother of server container config and messing things up
there means your servlet context/listeners etc. may need to be
reconfigured. Without a heavily customised/rewritten version of tomcat
config change listener, you cannot do it.

Also check this - conf/server.xml file cannot be reloaded without
restarting Tomcat.
<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/context.html#Defining_a_context>

By all means, confirm this by your research.