Hi -

This is the way that Tomcat is. You should think about your configuration. In
these days of cheap VMs why are you overloading so many web apps onto a single
server? Are you able to create a farm of servers? In other words have two or
more? If so then you have a frontend load balancer of some kind managing where
requests go. If you do then you should carefully shutdown and restart each
server one at a time.

(I started following this type of approach since Tomcat 3.3 on multiple top
level domains.)

Regards,
Dave