On 14.10.2018 02:29, Tony Esposito wrote:
Hello André,

It's routed through a server...
A co-worker noticed a Tomcat valve that might do the trick...
https://github.com/lokechenlin/tomcat-auto-login-valve

Your thoughts?

They are as follows :
If that works, fine.
But as per Occam's razor principle, one should not introduce more complexity than necessary. One additional dependency risks adding additional burdens in terms of debugging, support, maintenance etc.

And there shouldn't really be a need for anything additional.

Assuming that indeed the intermediate routing server adds this Basic Auth header, with a certain user-id/password pair, and that this user/password is always the same.
(That's a big if of course).
And assuming that indeed something as yet unidentified in the webapp, introduces a need for Basic Auth, and that you cannot find it or remove it.
Then the solution would be, to make sure that this Basic Auth succeeds.
(One reason being, that the lockout Valve - which apparently is also present - would not lockout this user, if it's authentication succeeded.)

To make the Basic Auth succeed, one would have to insure that the Tomcat Realm that is being used by this webapp to *verify* the correctness of this userid/password pair, indeed knows this userid/password pair, and responds positively when enquired from.

Of course, this requires finding out first, which Realm is being used, to back-up this Basic Auth. And that also would require finding out which component wants this Basic Auth.
But you can try at least one thing, just to check :
In the standard "vanilla" Tomcat as downloaded from the Tomcat website, there
is :
- in the file conf/server.xml, a tag like : <Resource name="UserDatabase"
auth="Container"..
- this tag points to a file, normally :  pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml"
- that file "conf/tomcat-users.xml", there is a section, normally
commented-out, like :
<!--
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="<must-be-changed>" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="both" password="<must-be-changed>" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="role1" password="<must-be-changed>" roles="role1"/>
-->
What you could try is to copy the following tags to a non-commented-out section
like this :
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<user username="(user-that-you know)" password="(password-that-you-know, in clear)" roles="tomcat"/>

save the file, and restart tomcat.
Then see if it works.

Chances are, that whoever configured this app in the first place, took the path of least resistance, and configured that webapp for Basic Auth, using the simplest configuration available, which is the above using a simple file as the back-end for authentication. By making the changes above, you may make your mystery user/password known to this simple Realm, and so maybe now its authentication will succeed.

@others : if any of the Tomcat devs is reading this, I am curious about
something :
If a HTTP request, in an unsollicited way, contains a Basic Auth "Authorization:" header, could this automatically trigger some Basic Auth code in Tomcat, even if the webapp being targeted does not have any such security constraints ?
I would assume not, but just in case..

Tony