Johan,

On 10/15/18 17:04, Johan Compagner wrote:
> Op ma 15 okt. 2018 20:37 schreef Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>

>> I'd be more concerned that Oracle are starting to charge for
>> production usage. That alone would be enough for me to switch to
>> OpenJDK.
>>

> Isnt that already the case?

Umm... yes.

> You can't download any installer of java 11 from Oracle that can be
> used in production, only for development and demos

Sure you can. You just have to pay them.

> There is no jre at all any more also from openjdk

There is little difference between a JRE and a JDK. One just comes
with a compiler.

> And open jdk doesnt have an installer at all, so it is all up to
> the package managers to get it (rpm/yum) so good luck on Windows
> with that.... (There is really just unzipping and setting paths
> you're self)

I've never installed Java any other way, so that's not really an issue
for me. Only recently have package-managers bothered to support
versions that are not insanely old. Now that I'll be switching to
OpenJDK, using a package-manager is going to look more attractive to me.

> Java on the desktop is really dead now (and we have quite a few
> customers using that through webstart)

Webstart is also dead. But let's be honest, Java on the desktop was
never really alive in the first place. The only tools I can think of
written in Java are mostly for developers. Yeah, there are a few
specialty things but mostly they come with their own JVMs, now (e.g.
Eclipse... which is also a developer tool). It's a huge waste of a
download, but what are you gonna do?