If you getSession() Tomcat looks for a session, and creates a new one if
it can't find one.

It looks for a cookie called JSESSIONID or a url variable ;jsessionid=.

If your voice app client can't handle cookies, and you have not URL
encoded each URL in the app, then a new session will be created each
time the filter processes a request.