On 13.11.18 18:12, Mark Thomas wrote:

Seems time to add some AI-translate add-on to the code.
That is supported but it has to be paid for. That was something I was
thinking about. I have 10k characters of free translation (POEditor uses
either Google translate or Microsoft Automatic Translation) with my
POEditor account. The Tomcat messages average ~67.5 characters per
message so those free credits should be able to translate just under 150
messages.

We've been using automatic translation in Liferay for a while, but IMHO this didn't work out well.

Machine translations lack the context, and are rarely right (and accurate), but typically confusing, sometimes hillarious, partly rude and rather unhelpful. More than that: If even new terms will be automatically translated in the future, translators will always have to go through *everything* and identify the newly automatically translated strings. Not fun.

I'd recommend to not even consider it. At Liferay, which has considerable user-facing UI, this was a quick start, that triggered corrections once there was a wonky automatic translation. Plus, after a while we introduced a mechanism to identify newly translated strings. Without that, it's hard to maintain.

My 2 cents,

Olaf