Hi Andi am> Another try on a third Windows Server 2008 R2 that never contained Java or Tomcat. am> I am logged in as local administrator. am> Installed Java 11 and Tomcat 9. am> And again same error :( am> I would really appreciate any help.
Sorry you are going through all this trouble. I have not tried Java 11 yet. cs> The installer should be detecting all of that, but cs> at this point you are grasping at straws, anyway. Also, as long as you're "grasping at straws" :-) I have some basic questions: am> Since it works when I start Tomcat by startup.bat, it must be am> something with the service, right? I can't remember, does your Tomcat Windows Service have a problem during automatic startup *and* manual startup from the Services panel (not startup.bat)? Have you tried installing older versions of Java with Tomcat 9 on Windows Server 2008 to verify that the Tomcat Windows Service works with older Java versions? Sorry, I can't remember if you tried that either. Does Windows Event Log say anything meaningful, other than "Error Code 1" (or something like that)? am> It also tried to change the START-MODE to Java. am> Then Tomcat service started! But it could not be stopped anymore. Only am> by killing Java.exe. When you run Tomcat9.exe, is the Java location specified, or do you have "use default" selected? Hmm... if the Service started then that must not be the problem. am> When I start Tomcat by using startup.bat it works! [SNIP] am> - Installed Java 11 (File: jdk-11.0.1_windows-x64_bin.exe) Is your Windows Server 2008 32-bit or 64bit? Hmm again... If 64-bit Java were installed on a 32-bit OS, Java would not run at all, so that's not it. Guess I'm grasping at straws too. :-) -- Cris Berneburg Tomcat Newbie
