Mark,

On 1/28/19 04:21, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/01/2019 23:11, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
>> This is also about our clustered Tomcat 8 application running on
>> Google Cloud.
>>
>> The Report sub-cluster runs BIRT. And the default landing page is
>> the Eclipse BIRT viewer default landing page, the one that shows
>> an Eclipse logo, and says "BIRT viewer has been installed."
>>
>> I've got a health-check on that sub-cluster, that polls the
>> default landing page of ROOT periodically. Up until a few days
>> ago, it was polling it every 5 seconds; earlier this week, I cut
>> it down to every 5 minutes (the maximum); now I've got it at
>> every 30 seconds.
>>
>> If I open the Manager context, I find that it shows (currently)
>> around 180 sessions for the ROOT context. When it was going every
>> 5 minutes, it was showing 18 sessions; when it was going every 5
>> seconds, it was up to over a thousand.
>>
>> The other two sub-clusters don't have any dangling sessions from
>> their health-checks; why would this one?
>>
>> I'd like the sessions from all this health-check polling to
>> expire a bit more quickly; can anybody here suggest a way to
>> accomplish that?
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/valve.html#Crawler_Sess
ion_Manager_Valve

>  Set the crawler user agent and/or crawler IP appropriately so
> your load-balancer is treated as a web-crawler and all those
> health-checks will be associated with a single session.

We recently implemented this at $work and I'm not sure it's behaving
as I expect. For example, we aren't seeing a reduction in session
count. We have 5-minute interval health-checks and the default for
sessionInactiveInterval is 60 seconds.

Is the problem that the sessionInactiveInterval is expiring between
the healt-checks?

Does the HttpSession created for the "Crawler" expire after 60 seconds
(well, sessionInactiveInterval)? Or does it inherit the server-wide
session-expiration? The latter does not make any sense because that
session would never be accessible again, anyway.

My expectation was that one and only one HttpSession would be created
and all clients matching crawlerUserAgents would re-use that same
session. If the session timed-out naturally, it would be re-created
on-demand, so the number of sessions on the node would be roughly
equal to the number of "real" users + 1.

I'm starting to think that it's more complicated than that.

I'm of course going to go read the code, but it would be better if the
documentation was more descriptive so that a code-dive wasn't
necessary. I can, of course, patch the documentation as well. :)