I would recommend verifying your upgrade process on a non-production
machine first in a way that you can restore if you need to start over
(sometimes in the heat of battle we can lose context and it's good to
start fresh).  What version(s) of Java are installed?

The differences in SSL configuration can be found in the documentation
for the respective version(s) of Tomcat you choose.

Are you doing DB connection pooling?  Is that configuration in a
context file, or are you doing that in the server.xml?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think it would be safer to have
two tomcat folders, one for 7 and one for 8/9.

You are doing this on a dev/qa machine, right?