John,

On 3/5/19 15:25, John Dale wrote:
> On 3/5/19, youness.dakk...@bnpparibasfortis.com
> <youness.dakk...@bnpparibasfortis.com> wrote:
>> <tomcat>/logs/stderr.log
>
> I do not typically use that log file .. have you searched other
> log files in the tomcat/logs/* directory?

logs/stderr.log is used when running certain kinds of services -- like
procrun, Windows Service, etc.

logs/catalina.out is generally used when using a vanilla Tomcat with
the standard startup scripts.

They are basically the same, except that when logs/stderr.log is
there, typically there is a separate logs/stdout.log, while
catalina.out is usually both stdout and stderr commingled together.

- -chris