OK. That was really weird.

As I said in my message, following the directions on the web did NOT
work. It didn't force redirection from http to https.

What it DID end up doing was to kill the tomcat servlet application.
Before the change it was working fine, and after the change it would
only generate a 404 page.

I reverted to the original /conf/web.xml, restarted tomcat and the
servlet application is back up and running perfectly.

So this code in /conf/web.xml affected the servlet but not the ROOT
static web pages.

I'm thinking I need to make the change I noted, but in ROOT/web.xml
instead. I'll try that today. But it was weird that the change in
/conf/web.xml killed the servlet but didn't affect the ROOT static pages
at all. Especially weird  since the servlet application ONLY runs on
port 443 (https).

-R

On 7/19/2019 7:18 PM, Richard Huntrods wrote:
> I tried implementing automatic redirection from HTTP to HTTPS on my
> tomcat today, but it's not working.
>
> First, my system:
> OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (server)
> Tomcat: 9.0.22 (installed from tomcat distribution, not via apt get)
> Java: OpenJDK "11.0.3" 2019-04-16
> Mysql: Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.26
>
> This web application has it's own domain (let's call it "mydomain.com"
> ) and has working HTTPS - and has done  for some time now.
>
> Static web pages are served on this application via tomcat using the
> ROOT directory ../tomcat/webapps/ROOT
>
> Again, this is working just fine. If I type "https://mydomain.com"; I
> see the secure static pages. If I type "http://mydomain.com"; I see the
> same pages, but browsers inform me the page isn't secure.
>
> I want to force tomcat to redirect "http://mydomain.com"; to
> "https://mydomain.com"; always.
>
> I found instructions for auto-redirection on several on-line sites,
> and all had the same instructions.
>
> I already have the redirect code in server.xml:
>
>   <Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                connectionTimeout="20000"
>                redirectPort="443" />
>
> So all I had to add (according to the instructions) was code at the
> end of ...tomcat/conf/web.xml
>
>     <security-constraint>
>         <web-resource-collection>
>         <web-resource-name>Secured</web-resource-name>
>         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>         </web-recource-collection>
>         <user-data-constraint>
> <transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
>         </user-data-constraint>
>     </security-constraint>
>
> just before the final </web-app>
>
> I did this and restarted tomcat. It doesn't work.
>
> After restarting tomcat, if I type in "http://mydomain.com"; I still
> see the unsecured version. It does not auto-redirect to https.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> -Richard

---

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is
addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communications received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.
---