Am 2019-10-28 um 13:15 schrieb Mark Thomas:
Hi all,

A frequent topic of discussion at ApacheCon EU was Jakarta EE 9. For those of
you who aren't familiar with Jakarta EE the key points are:

- Oracle have donated Java EE to Eclipse
- Eclipse have released Jakarta EE 8 which is essentially identical to Java EE 8
- Oracle have refused to allow changes to the APIs in the javax namespace
- The Jakarta EE community seem to be reaching consensus on releasing Jakarta
EE 9 which will rename all the Java packages from javax.* to jakarta.*
- Jakarta EE 9 will not contain any other API changes
- It will be a requirement to maintain backwards comparability (maybe not 100%
compatibility) with Jakarta EE 8
- Jakarta EE 9 will be released in the next ~11 months
- Jakarta EE 10 will then follow which is where new features will be introduced

W/o going into the questions. You may want to answer two simple questions to our users who solely use a servlet container like me:

* Will my stuff break if I have written it against javax.servlet...?
* Since there is no canonical body (? is it Eclipse Foundation now) for the specs, is there a possiblity that someone will fork the specs and create their own, e.g., commercial vendors or Undertow, Netty, Jetty, etc.?! (Mainly portability within the API)

Michael