On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:11 PM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2019-10-28 um 14:59 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> > On October 28, 2019 12:37:14 PM UTC, Johan Compagner <
> jcompag...@servoy.com> wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> those

> >> namespace
> >>>

> >> what does this rename really mean?
> >>
> >> import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;
> >> import javax.websocket.Session;
> >>
> >> those are renamed?
> >> If that is yes that would mean pretty much everything will break?
> >
> > Correct. Hence the question on options for how we consider maintaining
> compatibility.
>
> If this is going to be disruptive and we cannot maintain compat, why not
> go the extra step and explicitly move Tomcat code to org.apache.tomcat.*
> for Tomcat 10? Git renames will work flawlessly for backports.
>
> I assume that most users never knew or don't understand where "catalina"
> comes from.

There's no reason to break APIs just for the sake of it (and the current
package structure looks relatively reasonable to me, catalina is the actual
container, coyote is the connector, jasper is Jasper). This is really like
"oh, this is going to be a pain for users, so while we're at it let's
destroy the rest".

At this point I think the differences with the current 9 should be as
limited as possible to avoid user problems. If more significant items get
included such as, let's say, APR removal or some similar feature that
wouldn't be backported to 9, then it should be limited to these items and
it justifies the branch being called "10" rather than "9.something".

Rémy