I'm on Tomcat 9.0.21 on Linux.  I have Jsps that get updated while
Tomcat is running.  I believe development mode is set to true by
default, I do not have it set to true or false in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml for the Jsp servlet init-params.  I have a
cluster of 4-8 servers across different envs.  I'm noticing an
intermittent issue where 1 or more of my tomcat instances do not
always compile the latest Jsp content while the server is under load.
I've tried debugging the org.apache.jasper.compiler, it appears that
the class/java files of the tomcat work directory are getting
deleted/regenerated (get a new timestamp as well) but occasionally the
contents of the Jsp becomes out of sync in the generated class file
within the tomcat work directory.  I've tried different combinations
of development mode, checkInterval, modificationTestInterval but none
seem to help resolve this issue.  This only seems to be an issue when
the server is under a load.  I was able to reproduce in my lower env
(4 server cluster) while hitting the Jsp every 1 seconds while
changing the jsp contents.  I can make a subsequent change and the Jsp
content likely get's picked up by the same server(s) which previous
didn't pick it up.

Thanks in advance,
Tim