Hi all,

A frequent topic of discussion at ApacheCon EU was Jakarta EE 9. For those of
you who aren't familiar with Jakarta EE the key points are:

- Oracle have donated Java EE to Eclipse
- Eclipse have released Jakarta EE 8 which is essentially identical to Java EE 8
- Oracle have refused to allow changes to the APIs in the javax namespace
- The Jakarta EE community seem to be reaching consensus on releasing Jakarta
EE 9 which will rename all the Java packages from javax.* to jakarta.*
- Jakarta EE 9 will not contain any other API changes
- It will be a requirement to maintain backwards comparability (maybe not 100%
compatibility) with Jakarta EE 8
- Jakarta EE 9 will be released in the next ~11 months
- Jakarta EE 10 will then follow which is where new features will be introduced

This raises various questions for the Tomcat community including:

1. Do we implement Jakarta EE 9?

Assuming yes to q1.

2. As Tomcat 10 or some other version?

3. How do we manage development (in a branch, as master, ...)?

4. How do we implement backwards compatability? Runtime, deploy time,
compilation time?

5. At what point do we EOL Tomcat 7? (since Jakarta EE 9 is just a package
renaming?)

6. Do we commit to supporting Tomcat 9 for an extended period? (to provide a
version that supports java.* directly)

I'm posting this to users@ as how Tomcat users want to use and adopt Jakarta EE
9 is likely to be the biggest driving factor in choosing answers to these
questions.

We don't have to have all of the answers right now. I think we do need answers
for 1 & 3 so we can start. A few options and 'wait and see' is likely good
enough for the rest for now.

I have my own views on the answers but I have tried not to express them here so
we can get as wide a discussion as possible.

Thoughts?

Mark