Mark,

On 11/7/19 06:40, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 06/11/2019 20:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> I've found the root cause.
>>
>> When checking the timestamps of JSPs, the JSP engine (because it
>> has to access all resources via the Servlet API) requests a URL
>> for the JSP, opens a connection to the URL and then checks the
>> last modified time. This goes directly to the on-disk file.
>>
>> When reading the content, the request goes via the static
>> resource cache because we can intercept the call to
>> ServletContext.getResourceAsStream()
>>
>> The problem is the following sequence: - request for JSP - no
>> change in JSP timestamp found - cache re-validated (for 5s by
>> default) - JSP is modified (within 5s) - request for JSP (within
>> 5s) - change in JSP timestamp found - JSP content read (sees
>> cached version rather than new version)
>>
>> So we end up with the old version of the JSP content with the
>> updated last modification time.
>>
>> I'm currently looking at options to return a URL for the resource
>> where we can intercept the call to
>> URLConnection.getLastModified().
>
> Fixed in: - master for 9.0.28 onwards - 8.5.x for 8.5.48 onwards

Would you mind checking similar logic for triggering the reloading of
a whole context?

I'm not sure it's happened to me in quite a while (I'm currently on
8.5.x), but in the past I know for a fact that I've been caught in a
loop where my context will reload many many times after what feels
like one single change (e.g. one set of class file updates, a new .jar
file, etc.). Usually, if I leave things alone for a while (maybe 2
minutes?) Tomcat will settle down and stop repeatedly reloading the
context, but I usually just kill it and restart the container because
all that reloading causes the service to perform really poorly. After
a restart, all is well.

Thanks,