Mladen,

On 11/25/19 11:28, Mladen Adamović wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 4:54 PM Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net
> <mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net>> wrote:
>
> 50k connections is quite a lot. Is this a physical or virtual
> server? Do you expect to have lots of long-lived connections that
> are mostly idle (e.g. WebSocket)? Or do you just want to handle
> huge amounts of actual load (i.e. lots of requests)?
>

> It's a physical server with a relatively high load (100 requests
> per second when low), serving mostly text/html content.

So not very many long-lasting connections, at least not for serving
requests like WebSocket, etc.

> Due to default TCP internals, one connection can be long-lasting,
> only round trip time to confirm that the message is received could
> last 200ms.

That's not very long. I was thinking of minutes-long connections
remaining open. This is not uncommon for WebWocket connections where
clients communicate with the server infrequently but maintain
long-term connections.

> 50000 connections are how many connections server can accept at the
> same time.

Right: that was in your configuration.

> We certainly want to be able to serve 10000 hits per second (!),
> while some connections might be stalled.

What might stall a connection? The network, or the application (or
database, etc.)?

> And to survive a DDoS attack which tries to keep connections
> stalled using server farms (if it ever happens).

To survive a DDOS you might want to *reduce* the number of connections
you accept. A smaller queue can recover more quickly than a large one.

For real DDOS protection, you need a provider who can handle lots of
traffic and respond quickly by black-holing that kind of traffic as
far upstream as possible. If your DDOS protection is at the host- or
service-level, then you've already lost the battle.