Hi all:

The context path of the Tomcat manager application is "/manager" by default [0].
I am trying to change this context path from the default using an override
configuration.

I am doing the typical creation of a container using makebase.sh and setting
CATALINA_BASE before starting it.

To enable the manager application on these containers, I create a file
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine]/[host]/manager.xml with the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/manager" docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
antiResourceLocking="false" privileged="true">
</Context>
In catalina.out I see the following log output:
04-Dec-2019 12:54:07.063 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Deployment of
deployment descriptor
[/home/tomcat/servers/dev9/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml] has finished in
[200] ms
The manager application is mapped into my container at "/manager" and is
functional in every way.

But if I use a manager.xml to map the manager application into my container
with an offset path like the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/dev9/manager" docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
antiResourceLocking="false" privileged="true">
</Context>
I see the following log output in catalina.out instead:
04-Dec-2019 13:08:42.089 WARNING [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor The path attribute with
value [/dev9/manager] in deployment descriptor
[/home/tomcat/servers/dev9/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml] has been ignored
04-Dec-2019 13:08:42.333 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Deployment of
deployment descriptor
[/home/tomcat/servers/dev9/conf/Catalina/dotancappdev1/manager.xml] has
finished in [245] ms

Why is my override path of "/dev9/manager" ignored?
Can the context path of the manager and host-manager applications be changed?

The documentation implies that "/manager" is only a default, and it seems I
should be able to change it but have had no success.
My environment is Tomcat 9.0.29 with OpenJDK 1.8.0_232 on Debian Linux.

Thanks,
Jason

[0]
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction>