Konstantin:

Thank you for your point #1 below!
When I remove "path" attribute entirely from my override configuration
and save it as "dev9#manager.xml" then I get exactly the result I want.

However, I did not need to move the manager application from the
"${catalina.home}/webapps" directory as in your point #2.
I am running my container from a completely separate directory structure
with $CATALINA_BASE != $CATALINA_HOME and $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/ does
NOT contain the manager application.

I think your point #2 would be correct if I simply decompressed the
Tomcat distribution and ran it with $CATALINA_BASE == $CATALINA_HOME and
I was just adding a file to
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[engine]/[host]/dev9#manager.xml in an attempt to
override the context path.

Thanks again for your help,
Jason