The directory containing the dll is at $TomcatHome/isapi/

I opened that wide up for testing after more secure configurations did not
work. Don't worry - this will absolutely NOT be used for production:
IUSR, I_USRS, and USERS all have full control.
DefaultAppPool has everything but full control - Modify, execute, write.

However, the isapi_redirect.dll's logs show that it is not getting tomcat
errors the way it used to, so I do think it is connecting but then being
banned by Tomcat itself.
For example the logs used to have messages that tomcat wasn't listening on
8009  until I figured out that the AJP connector is now commented out by
default in server.xml. After fixing that and a few other things, the logs
suddenly started spitting back the complete html of the 403 error pages -
in other words I do think it is now connecting.