So it turned out that the logs were mostly set at FINE already, so Johann’s
suggestion was already done.

But I think I now know where the problem lies. Secure IIS request >  to >
non-secire AJP.

I don’t think this was a problem on the other servers before but the security
has probably been tightened, and it just doesn’t produce an error - it just
won’t allow it.

I have had IIS set to require SSL, but I turned it off to test and it actually
worked all the way through to the simple.html file. so it’s some sort of policy
about downgrading - which seems quite rational in retrospect.

 For example, this HTTP address does work.

http://my.servers.domain.com/exposedApplication/simple.html
<http://my.servers.domain.com/exposedApplication/simple.html>
 I never tried it because I knew I had set SSL to required. Sometimes you make
assumptions that block progress.

This HTTPS address does not work - I get the 403 from tomcat.
https://my.servers.domain.com/exposedApplication/simple.html
<http://my.servers.domain.com/exposedApplication/simple.html>

So  - if this makes sense to any of you, please tell me roughly what I need to
do to make the AJP requests as secure as the port 80 requests. I know keystores
and .pem files are involved, but please give me the big picture - what port
does AJP need to run on, and where do I go to find out how to tell it to use a
“real" cert.

Also I’ll have to figure out how to shut off port 8080 or require SSL on tomcat
once I get everything going. Actually I’d like to limit Tomcat to responding to
requests from the server itself. Nothing should be talking to Tomcat but the
isapi connector.

Thanks,

Ellen