On 25/02/2020 21:47, Ellen Meiselman wrote:
> So it turned out that the logs were mostly set at FINE already, so
Johann’s suggestion was already done.

> But I think I now know where the problem lies. Secure IIS request >
to > non-secire AJP.

> I don’t think this was a problem on the other servers before but the
security has probably been tightened, and it just doesn’t produce an
error - it just won’t allow it.

> I have had IIS set to require SSL, but I turned it off to test and it
actually worked all the way through to the simple.html file. so it’s
some sort of policy about downgrading - which seems quite rational in
retrospect

Thanks for the new information.

That rules out an issue with the secret settings.

I wonder if IIS (or more likely the ISAPI redirector) is adding some
unexpected request attributes that is triggering the new protection for
CVE-2020-1938. If that is the case, adding the following to your AJP
connector in server.xml should get things working for SSL as well:

allowedRequestAttributesPattern=".*"

Meanwhile, I'll configure my local test environment for IIS with TLS and
see what happens.

Mark