Chris, André, Eric, etc,

A few random thoughts.

First, this is really a MySQL driver thing, not a Tomcat thing.  If you want to
know why the driver does what it does, look at the driver source.  There is
actually a Socket constructor that allows you to specify the local port.  I
don't know why you would do that, but it's there.

Second, it does appear to be possible for there to be multiple connections
using the same source port as long as they go to different destinations.  Just
read through the various links that people have provided.  Honestly it blows my
mind that that's even possible, but that just shows how little I know about
networking.  How does the client OS route return packets correctly if they have
the same source port?

John