It is possible to replace AJP with normal HTTP or HTTPs.
AJP has an advantage, it needs less bandwidth. But it shouldn't make
too much difference with today's computer networks. If you need the
bandwidth advantage, you can certainly use the module ModSecurity for
Apache HTTPD to protect your application server. But an advanced
solution would be to protect AJP with the IPTables firewall. AJP is
mostly used in conjunction with HTTPD and if you only allow access to
these, it should be pretty secure.