Frank,

On 4/15/20 03:05, Frank Tornack wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 14.04.2020, 10:56 -0400 schrieb Christopher
> Schultz:
>> Frank,
>>
>> On 4/12/20 10:20, Frank Tornack wrote:
>>> It is possible to replace AJP with normal HTTP or HTTPs.
>>>
>>> AJP has an advantage, it needs less bandwidth.
>>
>> Reference?
> https://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=123404294317780 I think AJP has
> less overhead.

Nothing in there suggests that AJP has less overhead. In fact, just
the opposite:

"
> So what does all that mean? I expect that neither mod_proxy_http,
> nor mod_proxy_ajp or mod_jk do differ very much in performance on
> modern hardware."

If you really want to reduce overhead, you need to use WebSocket.
Guess what doesn't support WebSocket? AJP.

>>> But it shouldn't make too much difference with today's
>>> computer networks. If you need the bandwidth advantage, you can
>>> certainly use the module ModSecurity for Apache HTTPD to
>>> protect your application server. But an advanced solution would
>>> be to protect AJP with the IPTables firewall. AJP is mostly
>>> used in conjunction with HTTPD and if you only allow access to
>>> these, it should be pretty secure.
>>
>> While a firewall (iptables) can be used to protect AJP, a much
>> better solution would be mutually-authenticated stunnel. Even
>> better, switch to mutually-authenticated https, which doesn't
>> require a separate package to add the security layer.
>
> why not both?

You can certainly use both, but if you use mutually-authenticated TLS,
even an attacker on a trusted IP cannot attack you. My suggestion is
not that itpables offers no protection. It's that
mutually-authenticated TLS offers you *much more* protection, whether
you use a firewall or not.