On 14/4/20 8:05 pm, Brian Burch wrote:
On 14/4/20 6:53 pm, logo wrote:
Brian,

see down below....

Am 2020-04-14 08:34, schrieb Brian Burch:
</snip>
My initial code inspection makes me strongly suspect tomcat does not
initialise JNDIRealm and a nested CredentialHandler properly during
startup. However, I am not smart enough to attach my debugger to the
tomcat jvm until it is too late.
</snip>>>
set in bin/setenv.sh

export JPDA_SUSPEND=y

this will stop tomcat startup until debugger is attached.

Wow! That is a neat trick. I will try it tomorrow and see what I can intercept.

Thanks very much for the tip,

Brian

Thanks again. I tried your setenv.sh export, but my systemd start of the tomcat service failed without a meaningful error message.

My installation is a hybrid. I use the standard ubuntu systemd setup of tomcat and then subsequently move the content from my source build over the top of it.

The ubuntu setup installs /etc/default/tomcat8. This file includes a line to export the JAVA_OPTS environment variable if you wish the server to run under the jvm debugger.

The default definition includes the parameter:-

-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

... so I changed the suspend option to "y" and everything worked well. Tomcat startup waited until I attached a remote debugger session, then it started and hit my first breakpoint.

Now I need to find out what happens to the JNDIRealm and nested CredentialHandler initialisation process.

Regards,

Brian