On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 3:05 PM Sean Neeley <sean.nee...@producepro.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 2:57 PM calder <calder....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 14:43 Sean Neeley <sean.nee...@producepro.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I heard that tomcat is no longer available for RHEL 8.  Does anyone know
> > > why this is?  What free alternatives are there for java servlets, which
> > > have rpm packages managed by Red Hat?
> >
> > I would fathom a guess that'd be a question for Red Hat?  (as they decide
> > what's available for their distro).
> > .
> > In a pinch, one could download plain vanilla Tomcat and install to "/opt/"
> > [1] ... or you could go through the manual pain to install as it would be
> > deployed on RHEL 7.x
> > .
> > [1] We do this
>
> Thanks.  I know the decision was Red Hat's, but I thought someone here
> might know the reason.

It's quite possible - I am not a member of the official Tomcat team,
so they may chime in if they are privy to that info.

> I may do what you did and install as it was on RHEL 7.x.

To be clear, we do not mimic the install layout as is done in RHEL 7.x
(a splintered install, where various sub-dirs located in different
sub-dir trees)

We install (most all 3rd party software) to the "/opt/" tree, so we
have Tomcat based in:
/opt/tomcat/ ... and TC's native sub-dirs are all encased in that tree, as in:

calder@ren:/opt/tomcat > ls -A1
bin
conf
lib
logs
temp
webapps
work
calder@ren:/opt/tomcat >

The simplest explanation is
(1) create the "/opt/tomcat" sub-dir
(2) unzip the plain-vanilla ZIP there.
There's much more to it for us[1], but that's it in a nutshell.

> The drawback is no automatic updates.
Understood [1]  (we do not allow distro vendor updates).

> Did you package your installation into an rpm that could be shared?
Shared, as in, "with the general public" ? [1]

[1] Because we are a banking institution, we do not allow 3rd party
software to be "maintained by the distro vendor" (for updates, etc).
We are responsible to determine how and "where" the 3rd party
software will be packaged, installed, and updated.
Any software packages or documents (etc) created internally can *not*
leave any machine or our network.