Tullio,

On 10/28/20 06:27, Tullio Bettinazzi wrote:
I need to perform some maintenance operations pausing all user thread for a small but meaningfull time (say 30 secs).

Ugh. Why? What do you need to do that can't be handled with "proper" synchronization?

Is it possible to pause all user threads ?

Maybe. It's very dangerous, though.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/concurrency/threadPrimitiveDeprecation.html

How ?

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader at this point.

Any suggestion ?

Yes: think if a better way to do what you are trying to do.

This sounds like an X-Y problem[1]. You are trying to do X and you have decided that you need to do Y in order to accomplish X. So you are asking about Y.

Why not just ask about X instead?

-chris

[1] http://xyproblem.info/