Mladen,

On 12/29/20 03:46, Mladen Adamović wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 3:18 AM Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Honestly, I thought that reloadAfterNDays param to server.xml would be
better, but admins didn't have an understanding on this topic.

Don't be a jerk. We understand it. We are just saying that we want it
built in stages. If you want radical changes, you'll need to work on a
server without a decades-long history of being stable and reliable.

Well, one thing is certainly correct here - that Tomcat at least in 2016
wasn't working properly on my server, Numbeo.com. The problem was noticed
in the past few months and the update to 9.0.47 solved the issue, so indeed
Tomcat doesn't have a stable and reliable history. I haven't complained
about it although.

Regarding me being the jerk, I haven't seen regarding reloadAfterNDays
param that any project maintainer said something like: "I think that's a
good idea. If you create that code, I'll review it".

We said "write it as a Valve and we'll review it." Maybe not word for word, but I've tried to be encouraging about you going in that direction. Everyone else seems to be ignoring you thus far. If you continue to be an ass, I'll ignore you, too.

So from my point of view, there wasn't understanding.

It looked that Romain and you want a full ACME client without dependencies
so that Tomcat could run in containers with SSL, while it's a valid idea,
it seems I wouldn't be the one building that.

There are a few reasons, i.e. I have "newbie Tomcat devs problems",  and
I'm not so motivated to work on a feature that makes more sense for big
corporations rather than a single small developers.

To note even my question to explain to add Class javadoc
for LifecycleMBeanBase stayed unanswered so far in dev list, to my surprise.

You posted that on December 27th at 02:45am in my time zone. I wasn't exactly looking at email around then. Or at all on Sunday. OR really much yesterday, the 28th. I'm on holiday, like a LOT of other people right now.

Something that may seem like an emergency to you just ... is not so in the eyes of all the *unpaid volunteers* who work on this project.

FTR, that's a base class for implementations of Lifecycle that also adds useful methods for any class which needs to implement both Lifecycle and also be an MBean. It it were to have class-level javadoc it would be something like "utility methods for things that subclass this class". So... not terribly helpful to someone who doesn't know what it was, originally. But it's also difficult to explain in clas-level javadoc *why* someone would want to extend that particular class.

Back in 2007, I was good enough so that Google picked me to develop the
software for them, I left to start my own business two years later, but I
have a history of not being a good team player, seeing the same things
differently than other people, and also I don't have a history of
contributing to open-source projects (unless started by myself), so
perhaps, at the end of the day, I'm not the good fit for Tomcat dev.
Anyway, as it looks now, I'll unsubscribe soon from the Tomcat dev email
list as it looks to me that I didn't fit.

You can certainly take your ball and go home, but then everyone loses, right?

If you are motivated to work on this, we are happy to help you.

If you are instead motivated to insult everyone, complain that nobody is paying attention to your pet project, and refuse to accept the help and direction provided, then we aren't very interested.

-chris