Hello Chris,

- Manually create DOM: agree with you, I would not go in that direction. I
did it years ago when I developed a logout servlet for weblogic. You can
have a look at the code here [1] and feel my pain :)
- Library: I remember testing opensaml [2], it was the most popular at that
time but  it is not supported anymore :(

I am not sure what's your scenario, perhaps it is very specific and you do
not have any other choice than get your hands dirty and implement something
on your own. However if what you have in mind fits in this diagram [3] and
you are running in tomcat :) I would use keycloak [4], for us is working
great.

Hope it helps,

Luis

[1] https://github.com/cerndb/wls-cern-sso/tree/master/saml2slo