Hi Thomas

Thanks for the info and your opinion!  :-)

cb> 1.  Is performing DB heavy-lifting operations in ServletContextListener
cb> a "reasonable" practice?
cb> 2.  Is there a "better" way of caching said items at application
cb> startup?

tm> What happens when the DB has problems when the webapp starts?
tm> Will the startup fail then?

Good question.  I don't know, but I would guess it would fail.  Or the web app
would be in an unusable state since the needed cache would be empty.  I think
at that point the app would need to be restarted.

tm> I think doing lazy init is the better approach

I'm starting to agree.  :-)

tm> when db comes back it will work again after the webapp did start.

So the web app would be more "robust" - it would cache the data when the DB is
back online.  Sounds good.  :-)

Hmm... I'm kind of undecided about this.  If the DB is down during startup,
then the web app would be unusable anyway.  Would it not make sense for the app
to be down too?  I guess it depends on how the app handles DB connections and
errors?  If the app:
* Displays a generic "System is down for maintenance" message when the DB is
inaccessible and prevents the user from clicking things.
* Versus displaying weird messages to the user whenever they click a button or
link but does not stop them from trying.

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Senior Software Engineer

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used
solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient,
be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.