Hi Chris

cb> I was thinking of a servlet request (or something) that is called on
cb> startup that could also be called later on-demand(?).

cs> How would you trigger that servlet to be called on startup?
cs> Some kind of script that does catalina.sh && sleep $time
cs> && curl http://example.com/load-stuff ??
cs> How would you determine the value of $time? What if it fails?

Pfft, beats me.  :-)  I was just grasping at straws, apparently.

cs> You can also use thread-safe classes which either implement
cs> their thread-safety in one of a few different ways, synchronized
cs> blocks being one of those strategies.

Got any buzzwords for me that I can lookup "one of a few different ways", other
than synchronized blocks?

cs> "freshen" the data from the database if it had been altered by
cs> some other process e.g. an update from a database where new
cs> content is added, then migrated into production via direct SQL
cs> drop. So it really was a "reload" operation. These days, it's an
cs> "unload" operation. :)

I was wondering about that.  Sounds like it basically invalidates the cache so
it can be reloaded later when needed.

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Senior Software Engineer

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used
solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient,
be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.