On 19/05/2021 20:42, Ezsra McDonald wrote:
Environment:
OS: CentOS 7
Apache: apache-tomcat-8.5.65
Java: jdk1.8.0_281

Greetings,

I recently enabled SSL on my Tomcat server HTTP connectors. Something odd
is happening. After some undetermined amount of time the connector stops
responding appropriately to requests. My browser returns the following
message:

"An error occurred during a connection to target.host.com:8080. SSL
received a malformed Alert record.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_ALERT
"
I do not see anything in the logs to clue me in on what is happening.

I have the following configured for the connector.
<Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
        port="${http.port}"
        protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
        maxThreads="50" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
        server="Apache"
        SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true"
        clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLSv1.2"
        keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat/ssl/tomcat_ssl.jks"
        keyAlias="tomcat"
        keystorePass="**************"
        connectionTimeout="20000"/>

When I restart the instance everything works fine for a while. Later, when
I try to look at the tomcat manager, SSL is no longer functioning properly.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Anything in the access logs?

Enable TLS debug logging in the JVM Tomcat is using. You'll get a lot of data but you'll be able to see exactly what is happening.

Mark