From: Berneburg, Cris J. - US <cberneb...@caci.com.INVALID>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2021 1:24 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: [OT] web app big memory usage?

Hi Folks  :-)

One of our web apps is using a "lot" of memory, specifically a big user query.
We'd like to find out why.

The Tomcat Web Application Manager Find leaks button said that "No web
applications appear to have triggered a memory leak on stop, reload or
undeploy."

Tomcat Manager Server Status shows that 1.7GB (82%) of G1 Old Gen space is
being used that has not been recycled yet.

I grabbed a heap dump and used Eclipse Memory Analyzer, and it shows that only
94MB of memory is being used when G1 Old Gen space used 1.8GB.  MAT seems to be
looking only at the active objects, not the discarded ones.  IOW, we're looking
at what the app is doing ATM, not what it already did.

I want to explore the 1.7GB garbage pile to see what's being thrown away, not
what things are still being used, to determine wastefulness.

1. Is there a way to analyze uncollected garbage?

2. Is that a reasonable way to identify potential memory usage problems?

Some technical specifics:
* TC 8.5.63
* Java 1.8.0_291
* AWS EC2 instance.
* Windows Server 2016.
* Instance started as Windows Service.
* There are other TC instances on the same server.
* Each TC instance has multiple apps.

Thanks for reading this far.  :-)

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Senior Software Engineer

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used
solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient,
be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.