Hi Shankar,

Thanks a lot. I found my problem. It turned out not to be a Classloader
problem, but a NullPointer (THANKS TO TIM FOR THE HINT :) ) problem in the
server, which I had not found because I don't know how to debug my
application in Tomcat and there is no single log in the Tomcat directory
that can give me a clue of what's happening.

Anyway, the configuration worked as I had it initially:

1) Dropping the axis.jar in the WEB-INF/lib as you pointed out.

2) Stubs/Skeletons and all that had nothing to do with the JNI in
axis/WEB-INF/classes

3) The classes for the JNI interface/loading the jni library under
shared/classes

I think if I can find a way to debug our application in the server, we could
get better light on what is happening and solve problems a lot quicker :|.
It's like driving blind right now :|.

Anybody knows how to debug remotely axis/tomcat apps?

  --Luis R.

On 7/18/06, Shankar Unni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Luis Rivera wrote:

> I have a web service which will JNI to access the application, which
> according to the documentation should be placed in the shared/classes
> directory. I did so and I got a dreaded
> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException, which I believe is a class
> loader problem.

You need to put the Axis jar in the WEB-INF/lib of your webapp. It
wasn't clear in the original message whether you'd done it like this.

That's because the common classloader is the *parent* of your webapp's
classloader, and thus can't see any classes that are in your webapp. So
you can't put the Axis library there.

Note: only axis.jar itself really needs to go into the webapp's
WEB-INF/lib. The rest of the Axis jars (saaj.jar, etc.) can go into
common/lib, if you have many webapps in the same Tomcat instance that
use Axis.