On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 9:05 PM Mark Eggers
<its_toas...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE are links to an appropriate Tomcat
> installation, and one configured for that particular service.
>
> Then to upgrade to a new Tomcat, you do the following:
>
> 1. Unpack the new reference version of Tomcat somewhere which becomes
> CATALINA_HOME.
>
> 2. Create the new service-specific installation of Tomcat which becomes
> CATALINA_BASE.
>
> All of the above can be done without disturbing the existing service.
>
> To upgrade, do the following:
>
> 1. Shut down the service
> 2. Move the links
> 3. Start up the service
>
> If things blow up in your face, then the roll back is really easy:
>
> 1. Shut down the service
> 2. Restore the links
> 3. Start up the service

This makes me realize my proposed bin/run.sh method is not really
tuned for production. Indeed links could be used to great effect here.
Windows has mklink /d <link> <targetdir> which is essentially the same
as ln on *nix near as I can tell. Might help with issues like the
catalina.policy file path in the registry when using the Windows
service.

Mike